08 June 2012

Days-long movies_

Lately, I’ve found that high budget videogames (for which I pay about €60), namely RPGs, are starting to become uninteresting to me. I now spend time playing Angry Birds, Cut the Rope or even a kind of Who Wants to be a Millionaire on my phone, instead of finishing open playthroughs in my PC.

And recently, I believe I found the reason why.

Yes, it’s true that after Mass Effect 3, my gaming itch has hardly needed a scratch, but I still play these casual games. I like playing: it’s fun, entertaining and passes the time (sometimes more time than I hoped), so why am I not into RPGs lately?

One thing I noticed in ME3, it seemed like I was seeing a movie with button clicking in the middle, rather than a choosing what I wanted to say, explore what I wanted at a given time, and talk to my companions when I desired kind of game with cutscenes in the middle.

In Rules of Play, I read about why videogames, when they first came out, became so successful: they introduced interactivity where there was only a passive action.

But in the past few years, games have been doing the exact same opposite: they’re reducing their interactivity and becoming a more passive medium. And it is boring me. Thus, instead of wasting my time with a pseudo-film of thirty-plus hours, I’ve started to watch a lot more real movies and series.

So now we have a bunch of these beautifully rendered and amazingly scripted videogames that are essentially hours-long €60 movies. Not that it is such a bad thing, the videogame industry has the right to develop in the way it wants, it’s just that I don’t want to watch a movie that lasts three days, but I also don’t want to break my piggy bank for a 5 hour game.

I want these new games to have the beautiful graphics that we have nowadays, but have the interactivity and customization of those of old too, so that each experience is a unique experience of rainbow-vomiting goodness.

2 comments:

  1. João Reboleira8/6/12 18:54

    You really poked the wound there Eva, and I just felt like saying what I thought about it.

    I've been feeling the exact same regarding recently released games. They're becoming extended (and poor) versions of their trailers released beforehand, with titles like Mass Effect 3 and *shivers* Dead Island leading the trend. It seems their only effort is to expand the ideas set by their marketing campaigns, resulting in games that are not only quite shallow in content, but also experiences that you'd rather watch holding a popcorn bucket, rather than a controller. Hereupon, I had no intention of replaying ME3 after I was done with it, even though it did have some jaw dropping moments (Thresher Maws nom noming Reapers and whatnot).
    I could ramble about this all day, but that would be dull and kinda weird :p so I'll just end by mentioning this little game I played a while back, Bastion. If you haven't tried this game out, then by all means do. I had a blast with it, and it did errthing right, including a great story, narrated *while* you're playing, instead resorting to cutscenes, making you hold the controller longer, and leaving the popcorns aside. Finally a game without buttery fingers :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! :)
      I almost forgot about Bastion; i tried the demo version and it was quite entertaining, but I didn't go beyond that because of uni.
      Will definitively pick it up in my summer vacation!

      Delete

Please be respectful! Comments with strong language and/or inflammatory content will be removed/deleted.