08 June 2012

Living room boxeur_

My parents always hated when my brother and I played videogames, we’d spend countless hours sitting in front of a computer, screaming at its screen. 

For a long time, videogames have been associated with a sedentary lifestyle: a nerd wallowing in a dark basement, munching chips, gulping energy drinks, using the screen as his only light source, and hissing like a vampire whenever sunlight hit him Edward Cullen (not like you Sparkles)

I still remember that my mom and dad refused to buy any consoles because they’d be just another source of gaming, but this changed when they heard about the EyeToy for PlayStation 2. This new device allowed players to play videogames that required physical interaction and the use of body movements, sparking an interest towards games from my physical therapists parents. 

I gleefully went shopping for our first home console with them, and when we got back, quickly began to install the very prized PlayStation 2. 

Some may say that this game is to appeal to the casual gamer, but even though I consider myself a hardcore gamer, I had a great time playing it, and broke a sweat, with my family and friends, always trying to get the highest scores, and gang beating the heavyweight boxer.

If you can see what I can see when I'm cleaning windows.

The EyeToy gave way to a new generation of motion based consoles and console accessories, like the Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 Kinect or PlayStation 3 Move, and changed how people viewed gaming. 

No longer is gaming just a thing of dark basements and alleyway arcades, with these consoles, people now smash lamps and trip on coffee tables in their living rooms, while jumping and waving at their TVs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful! Comments with strong language and/or inflammatory content will be removed/deleted.